Website Mississippi College, Leland Speed Library
Position Title: Reference/Instruction Librarian
Brief Description: Mississippi College is seeking an energetic librarian to be part of a team providing instructional and reference services to the university community. We are looking for a person that is a team player, flexible, can communicate well and enjoys teaching. This position calls for extensive collaboration with other faculty and university colleagues in the design, delivery, and assessment of our information literacy program. The teaching of information literacy competencies is a major component of this job. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to help shape and influence the information literacy program.
The Reference/Instruction Librarian is a member of the Reference Services team responsible for providing the Library’s instructional and reference functions. This librarian also serves as the liaison to academic departments, including Math and Sciences. This position is a full-time twelve month faculty position without tenure.
Salary: $42,000 annually
Minimum Education Required: MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
· Minimum 2 years of teaching experience.
· Experience with outreach and student engagement.
· Knowledge of reference and research skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal skills consistent with a commitment to user-center library services, including flexibility, enthusiasm, and approachability.
· Ability to manage change and work in a team environment. Willingness to collaborate and communicate with team members and maintain effective working relationships with the public and university colleagues.
· Awareness of current concerns and developments in higher education, academic libraries and library technology.
· Ability and desire to learn and implement appropriate technologies.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
· Familiarity with the following software/programs:
– Springshare Platform
– Virtual assessment tools
– Integrated library systems
– Course managements systems
· Develop, deliver, and assess information literacy instruction. Prepares online and print research guides to augment instruction and to assist faculty and student researchers.
· Serves as liaison to academic departments, including Math & Sciences. Provides collection development assistance and outreach to these departments.
· In collaboration with the reference team, establishes goals toward improving library systems and services, with periodic evaluation of progress.
· Participates in developing marketing and outreach materials using library tutorials, LibGuides, social media, web pages, and print publications.
· Works on-call reference shifts and occasional weekends.
· Participates in the completion of other library projects.
· Serves on appropriate university committees.
· Other duties as assigned.
Context: Founded in 1826, Mississippi College is a private, comprehensive, Christian university affiliated with the Mississippi Baptist Convention. MC offers over 80 undergraduate majors, 15 graduate programs and has an enrollment of approximately 5,000 students. The main campus is located in Clinton, MS which is about 10 miles west of the capital city of Jackson. Leland Speed Library is student oriented, innovative and encourages professional development. It is also viewed as a vital part of the academic program of the university.
Start date of Spring 2020. Non-locals are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position return a cover letter, a completed Mississippi College Faculty Application, and a curriculum vitae to Claudia Conklin, Head of Public Services at email@example.com. A Mississippi College Faculty application can be found at http://www.mc.edu/offices/human-resources/how-to-apply/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled with preference given to applications received by December 13, 2019. Employment is contingent upon successful background verification.
To apply for this job please visit mc.edu..